Saturday 20 October 2007

*Laura Marling - My Manic and I EP


Laura Marling - My Manic and I EP (Virgin Records)

Only in her late teens, Laura Marling might be expected to merely sing about the trials and tribulations of youth, but on her new ep "My Manic and I" she demonstrates a wisdom far beyond her years harping through relationships, love, life and betrayal. Sometimes conversational, at other times haunting, her voice is always captivating and one that cannot be ignored. All four tracks on the ep are strong, "New Romantic" is a crowd favourite with strumming acoustic guitars, "Typical" a soothing ballad that shows her biting honesty; 'I'll keep on going i've got nothing to lose, I gave up morals when I took up you' while "Night terror" and "My Manic and I" float to the darker side of her songwriting. So for Marling, age really is nothing but a number and it seems she can only get better from here.

9/10

No comments: